My cup of tea…


The other day, I suddenly thought of doing away with tea. It was just a matter of decision as I have never had the real craving for it although I am not averse to it. Apart from the morning ritual, there is, at times, no ceiling to the number tea/coffee cups I have in a day. Again, there are days when I don’t even have a sip. Drinking too much of tea or not having it at all, none of them makes much difference to me. On health grounds, I thought it would be better to call it quits. But it hasn’t still happened. Until I casually referred to what I was thinking about, I had no idea my decision would displease others to an extent of hurting them! Soon I realised it wasn’t just tea but a lot that came in its trail.
When I spoke about not having tea or coffee, eyebrows were raised. At home, I was told that I should have at least morning tea and the rest of the day, I was free to do whatever I wanted. On the professional front, it was tougher. At workplace, tea break is as important as the work, if not more! That’s the reason colleagues were not too much in favour of my plan.
Tea is the most convenient option at government offices, which I often visit on assignments. If I say no to tea, they insist on having something else, say some soft drink. Keep it aside. My task gets even more difficult when it comes to friends. Hardly do we see each other but whenever we do, we meet up at some coffee joint. There’s hardly any point explaining why I want to shun tea. Family, friends, colleagues, acquaintances, there is a lot more to quitting tea. All of them understand my health grounds theory but the refrain is: ‘Why shun, why not cut down on it?’
Everyone has certain associations with a cup of tea or coffee. In the fast-paced world, people don’t have time to catch up over meals but for tea, they do have. In many urban homes where everyone’s working, morning tea brings all together. No one wants to miss a steaming cup of coffee at home, not always for taste but for some warm moments. At workplaces too, people are glued to computers and tea breaks ensure nice interactions. Friends too relish tea or coffee sessions.
Ask anyone about these rejuvenating drinks and I am sure everyone’s cup will be overflowing with wonderful memories. There are groups who have been catching up over tea for years together; same time, same venue and yes, same table. Tea at some chaiwallah wouldn’t match the ‘star’ taste. There are many who walk out of a plush place and rush to a roadside tapari. No matter how much hospitality industry develops and innovates, tea at tea stalls is special.
Will I miss so much if I give up tea? I should reconsider. At the end of the day, it’s not just about tea. I now know that bidding adieu to it doesn’t remain your decision alone. It has an equal bearing on others. After all, there are a lot many things that act as a catalyst to strengthen bonds. Apparently insignificant, those small things play such a big role in connecting with other. They almost appear indispensable. 
- KanChan 

Comments

  1. as you mention in the last para, its not really to do about the 'tea' its more about the moments/arguments/discussions/debates we have over tea that make it significant. Quite a nice post.
    - Nandan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Old Monk in New Bottle

Travel trail

Best among the best